Back with a DIY today! I've finished my exams now and i'm back in London for the Summer wooo! When i was packing all my things back into my house i came across a little black zip bag that is meant for a laptop charger. I knew i wanted to do something with it so i got this spare piece of native (Nigerian) material i had in my room and set about making a little clutch bag. Here's how it went:
- I started off with the bag and material, just laid the bag on top and folded the material over and aligned it just below the zip.
- I then used a safety pin to fasten the material to the bag just to make sure it didn't move about.
- Next i used a needle and thread and a few loophole stitches to fasten the material on one end of the zip. I then followed the zip all the way to the end with a running stitch.
- When that was done i flipped the bag over and folded the excess material over and fastened it down and each end with a few stitches just to keep it in place.
- I left a bit of excess material at the side so i could finish it off when i was done and the bag would be completely covered then snipped away the excess.
- I folded the rest of the material over so that the bag was completely covered and repeated the running stitch to the other end of the bag. I then just tidied up all the excess material by holding it together and sewing it tight.
- And that was it for my first attempt! It probably would've been easier with a sewing machine but i don't know how to use one (yet). It is quite big and fits enough for a night out or quick outing and i'll probably feature it in an outfit post soon!